Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Waiting patiently


Yea, right! I'm waiting, but not very patiently. It's taken me almost two years to get up the courage to spend the money on a fairing for my Vulcan 2000 and now that I have, I want it here now. Unfortunately, I won't see it until at least the middle of August...maybe later. Once the company received the order, they custom make it based on my desires, then they have to paint it to match...an option I paid for extra.

Over the past year, I toyed with the idea of selling or trading my existing motorcycle in on one that is set up for touring...meaning, it's got a fairing, radio, cd player, speakers, perhaps GPS, etc. However, once I heard what most of the dealers were going to give me for my motorcycle, I decided it would be much cheaper to keep it and add the fairing. The $2000 or $3000 that I would lose on the trade in more than paid for the new fairing by the way.

Choosing a fairing wasn't an easy task either. There are several vendors out there but as it turned out, only two of them offer a fairing for my particular motorcycle. Once the vendors were reduced to only two, the decision making became easier but by no means easy. Each vendor had multiple models from which to choose so I had to do a little research.

After many visits to each website, as well as reading some other biker's opinion on a few forums, I made my decision. I ordered the top of the line fairing from a company names Tsukayu...no, it's not American, but what can you do if there isn't a company in America that makes fairings for metric motorcycles.

My new fairing will have a GPS, AM/FM/CD player, plug in for I-Pod, bluetooth phone capability, SD card slot and 6" X 9" marine-grade speakers...should be enough electronics to keep me satisfied for a while. Oh, did I mention that the radio is wired for sirius radio in case you decide to add it on later?

I'll add a picture here at a later date of a similar bike with the fairing installed and painted to match. Hard bags from this same vendor have also been installed. I think it looks pretty good.

I thought I would allow you to follow along as I attempt to install the fairing on my motorcycle. I'm sure it is not going to be as easy as advertised. I hope it is...but I'm mentally preparing for the worst.

More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment